domingo, 26 de noviembre de 2017

Ponle Freno Madrid: 5k race, 23:25!

Yesterday I take the day off so that I am fully recovered for this morning`s race.

I generally run the day before, but honestly I dont see too much difference in running the day before or the the prior to the day before, once you warm up before the race, you feel good to go, and my goal was to just run 5 times this week as I am doing lately.

I woke up at 6:35 a.m., got ready and headed out the door at 7:40 a.m., started walking and got to Arguelles (1k from there), the weather was cold, it was 1 degree celcius when I left the residence, I knew that it would increase, but did not increase much. I wore my hat and a long sleeve t shirt. Once I got to Arguelles, I started my warm up and I warmed up around 2k, because Arguelles and the start of the race are 2k+ apart. I was feeling pretty good, but the right achilles was bothering me,but I knew it would be just fine as soon as I warmed up.

I got there around 8:15-8:20 a.m., the race started at 9:00a m. I decided to enter the corral early and warmed up a bit more there, did a couple of race pace strides also, I looked like an elite there, but obiously I am not anything close to it.

I had the Green wrist band which indicated that I would run 23-24 mins, at least thats what I told when I went to get my bib in the expo yesterday. In the back of my mind, I wanted to run 25-26 mins, after all I have not been running races and and I am only running 35 mins easy runs and a progression run here and there, and last week did 3 x 1 min and on Thursday did 5 x 20 seconds strides, so not ideal, but I was feeling pretty good on my runs and this weather really suit me.

I was not pressured for this race, I could sleep well, and did not feel anxious, but thats because I was not pressured for time, I just sign for this race to compete, see where I am at and to experience Racing in another country.

After I finished my warm up, at 8:30 or so I positioned myself in the second row of the people that were going to run 40-50 mins in the 10k, so about my pace in the 5k.

I dont wear a watch for races so probably I would only know time in the finish line and thats how it played out!

At 9 a.m. the gun went off and We were off!

I got out well at a good effort and pace, I have to Dodge some people but nothing to crazy, as I positioned myself well in the starting line, people generally had the same or better ability than myself. I continued at the same effort, trying not to get carried away by the people passing me, when We hit the 1k mark, I just hear the gps watches making noises, but my surprise came when after the 1k, maybe 1 mile, the pacer of 45 min in the 10k was just ahead of me, I just said to myself, what the fuck! you are just running at 4:30 per km, and I was feeling fine, I did not need to slow down because I was running by feel and my body told me that that effort felt all right.

Just after the 2k  I was running at a good pace, the 45 mins pacer go away Little by Little, but I felt so strong that I said , wow maybe if I dont blow up too bad I can run sub 25 mins. I was running in a parade, but We were running pretty much at the same pace, so that did not bother me and I was so in tune with my body that I just payed attention to myslef and dont let other distract me, at least in the first half, then you have to compete to maintain effort.

Just after the 2k the course Split up, the 10k runners continue ahead and the 5k runners turn to the right, I was surprised with the few people that actually turned right, then I found myself running in a Little pack , but then We turned right again and I saw that big hill I just said "fuck", I was running strong, but did not expect that kind of steep heel, then I manned up and keep my effort while others ran the hill faster, I just relaxed and continued at the same effort, I wa surprised when  I saw a 10 year old child or so passed me with authority, then I dont remember if He continued building a gap, or just passed him when We were downhill, after the big hill, We ran flat for a bit, and then climb again. I was surprised because I was running so strong and the cadence looked good, I was sure that I would susprise myself with the finishing time, but then I tried to remain in the present and race my competitors. After We did the clib, there was a big downhill of around 300m, I found relieve on that, I just let gravity take me down, in that moment I was running  head to head with another guy, but eventually that guy built a gap and when more people passed me I tried to go with them so that I could catch the guy, but I could not, but the good news is that I did not slowed down much either.

When I passed the 1k to go mark , I said to myself, just keep the effort and in the last 200-300 just give it all, I kept pushing and tried to maintain contact with the people ahead, I was not in a parade anymore, then I saw that people start turning right, and when I turn right I saw the finish line at about 150m, then I gave everything I have while looking at the finishing line clock, I said! that is 22 mins? then I run closer I read 23, then I accelerated even more to not run 24 mins, I start punching the air while sprinting, then threw a couple of more air punches and when I stopped the clock read 23:44, but in the chip time I ran 23:25, I congratulate myself and was very proud!! I did not expect this time, I was expecting before the race something like 25:50-27 mins.

Then drank wáter, sat for a while watching the other runners getting to the finish line. Then ran  bit more, around 2k to cool down, then did the last 1k walking. So did 9k for the day or so.

The most important thing is how I felt and I raced again, I did not race since June 2016 nd I did not run all out there, and I had not run 23 mins in the 5k since 2013, so why I punched that much when I got to the finish line, not hte time itself, its that I am coming back. I thought that I was done, but I had not felt this strong during  a race, I just could maintain pace and not blow out.

The reasons of this performance could be the following or a mix of them: The weather, the weather was just amazing. I had not run a race in this type of weather, 5 degrees Celsius. I have been going to the gym for 6 weeks to lift heavy shit, so my increase in strength could relate to the strength carried to the race. And as soon as leaving the gym tired, I put my shoes and went out running on tired legs so that stress could count as improvement. I have been eating breakfast since I got here in Madrid, as it might appear that I am eating more, I am actually thinner, the portion sides that they serve are very controlled and often you find myself complaining because in the DR I ate less frecuently,  but the portions were big, maybe that balanced portions througout the day keep me energized and maintain a good quantity of calories. Maybe in the Dominican Republic I was in this kind of racng shape, but as I did not compete I could never know.

However, I will just keep running and will keep going to the gym, that is what I am enjoying and if the result of that joy will be faster times, then those are welcome.

I really enjoy this race, and I hope to run it again in the future. I cerainly will sign in for another race, but I dont know when. As I love to run, I will just keep training although I dont compete much.

Have a great Sunday!

5 runs this week and 2 gym sessions, again skipped legs and shoulders due to the race, but next week I ll hit those things hard in the gym.

You can check out here  video from the finish line, I am the guy with the black hat , red shorts and long sleeve black shirt:

https://www.corriendovoy.com/atletismo/212180/carrera-ponle-freno-madrid-2017


Photos from the race:





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario