sábado, 8 de junio de 2019

Evening watchless 5k tempo in 23:28 + 2 x 200s

On Thursday I took my day off as usual.

On Friday I was not sure of doing my tempo run, the plan was to do it on Saturday since I had run my interval workout on Wednesday and I run easy for 2 days between workouts. However, today (Saturday) my brother was going to be out of town, so I had to do it alone, and He was doing him today, so I had the option of take a risk and doing it today on tired legs. My legs felt surprisingly good, not like last week. Were tired, but, no soreness, so I gave it a go. I made the decision at 5 p.m. and We were running at 6:40 p.m. and at 3 p.m. I drank a beer in a bar watching the last set of Nadal vs Federer march in Roland Garros, the French Open. That beer did not affect at all in the workout.

Anyway, I decided to leave the watch at home and just go by effort, I would be happy with anything under 24 mins. I am glad I left the watch at home, since We were running way slower than I thought We were going, I realized after the workout looking at my brother`s splits.

I warmed up 15 mins with 5 x 50m acceleration strides to loosen up the legs. Then We started our 5k tempo. I went out at a good effort/pace, my brother was ahead in the first km by 1 second, but then He started gapping me and never caught him. I felt that if I went with him, I would crash and burn, I waited till the pace came to me. That was not enough to reel him in.

On the second km He had a gap of around 8-12 seconds, kept it till the halfway. In the halfway turn around I lost a lot of time because in that precise moment a runner came, so I kind of waited till He passed, lost around 4-5 seconds. As soon as I turned around, I accelerated to make up lost time, at that point I was feeling good, but not great. My brother by the 3rd km had a gap of around 15+ seconds. In the last 2 kms, I decided to relax and try to accelerate a bit while staying relaxed and that worked, from km 3-4, I bridge some gap and He had around 10 seconds on me and He kept that gap till the end. He finished in 23:19 and I finished in 23:28. When I finished the tempo, I jogged 400m easy and then did 2 x 200m fast, I felt like a truck in these 200s, but its good to run fast on tired legs. After I finished the workout before the workout, my brother told me the times and the 200s were in 41,40 and I was pretty surprised because they felt way slower than that, tried to maintain good form and run fast.

I was not dissapointed about the tempo, but I was not happy either. 2 seconds faster than last week, eventhough We started way slower, glad I did not know splits at the time. After reviewing my brother`s splits at home, I realized that I ran around 4:45 for the first km, which felt way faster than that, halfway was around 12:00, since my brother ran 11:49, I thought that I was going faster than last week, where I crossed in 11:39. 3k were in 14:10 for my brother, I crossed in around 14:25-14:30, which felt way faster than that, I thought that I was running sub 14 mins, However, in the last 2 kms I really put the hammer down, my brother ran 9:09 for those 2 kms, if I had to take a guess I ran around 9:00-9:05, which really makes a difference compared to other splits. Well thats one of the reasons that I dont wear a watch during races, not seeing the splits that I want could mess with my head pretty badly.

Overall, a solid workout, felt much better than last week, could add 2 x 200s and it was 2 seconds faster and I only had 48 hours to recover, so this was a success.

Weather was pretty hot, as I had a pretty dry mouth when I finished. Did around 1.7k easy for cool down and We did around 10k total for the day.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario